Big Island in a Day: Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Sightseeing, History
11 hours (Approx.)
The Big Island of Hawaii has a diverse ecosystem unlike anywhere else on the planet, and on this day-long nature tour, experience the beauty of its black-sand beaches, thundering waterfalls, and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. If you’re lucky, find Hawaiian green sea turtles basking on the coast. Since the tour only requires a moderate amount of walking, it's an educational adventure for travelers of all ages, with snacks and refreshments included.
- A tour of Hawaii’s biggest island highlighting its natural wonders
- Visit the most dramatic waterfalls on the island, Akaka and Rainbow Falls
- Lunch included for an added convenience
- Group size is limited to 10 people to ensure a quality experience
- Small-group tour limited to maximum of 10
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Bottled Water
- Professional and Certified Guide
- Luxury Mercedes Sprinter Van Transportation
- All Fees and Taxes
NOT INCLUDED: Gratuities
DEPARTURE & RETURN:
- Traveler pickup is offered
- Pick up from all major hotels and resorts in Kona and Kohala Coast. In addtion to locations below, Starbucks at Queen's Market Place (69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa Village, HI 96738) Pine Tree Cafe
Longs Drugs at Keauhou Shopping Center
Kona International Airport Pickup and Drop off
- Departure Time: 06:30 AM - 08:00 AM
WHAT TO EXPECT:
This full day adventure of the Big Island of Hawaii begins on the Kona coast, where you’re picked up from your Kona or Kohala hotel, and driven north on a scenic journey past historic Parker Ranch—which has operated as one of the largest ranches in America since 1847.
As you pass through the ranching town of Waimea, watch as the landscape changes from pastures to green, tropical rainforest, as sweeping views of the Hamakua Coast start creeping into view. During a stop at Waipio Valley lookout, marvel at the way the vertical cliffs seem to explode from the green valley floor and hear the tales of how King Kamehameha was raised in this valley as a child. The adventure continues as you wind your way down the Hamakua Coast, past roadside towns with singsong names until you reach Akaka Falls and Rainbow Falls.
Make your way back toward sea level at Punalu’u Beach, where you’ll take a stroll on a black-sand beach and search for Hawaiian green sea turtles. Head next to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, before rounding the southern tip of the island, the southernmost point in America. Look out for Kealakekua Bay, the spot where Captain Cook was killed in a skirmish with Native Hawaiians.
Stop at a Kona coffee farm to learn about the coffee growing process and walk through a lava tube.
Finally, your tour finishes back in Kona with a drop off at your hotel, where you’ve earned the right to plop on the bed and relax after the full day adventure.
Please note: Depending on weather conditions, your tour may operate in reverse order.
- Pass by: Kailua Pier
Drive through the historic Downtown Kona, home to the summer palace of Hawaiian royalty and oldest church in Hawaii.
- Stop At: Greenwell Farms. Duration: 40 minutes.
Take a tour of a Kona Coffee Farm to learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling Kona Coffee and Tea.
- Stop At: Punalu'u Bake Shop. Duration: 30 minutes.
This Southernmost quaint bakery & visitor center offer Hawaiian sweetbreads, cookies, souvenirs & island novelties.
- Stop At: Punalu'u Black Sand beach. Duration: 40 minutes.
Dip your toes in the sand at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach and scan the horizon for green sea turtles on the shore.
- Stop At: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes.
Explore the wonders of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including steam vents, the Halema’uma’u and Kilauea Iki crater lookouts, past lava flow sites, and take a short hike along crater rim trail.
- Pass by: Hilo.
Drive through historical Downtown Hilo, the largest city on the island.
- Stop At: Rainbow Falls. Duration: 50 minutes.
This towering 135-meter waterfall plummets into a lush ravine at the center of a state park. You’ll enjoy a short walk through the vegetation for an up close view and plenty of photo ops.
- Stop At: Waipi'o Valley. Duration: 30 minutes.
The views stop you in your tracks at the Waipio Valley lookout, where a dramatic backdrop of lush cliffs drops into the sparkling blue ocean.
- Pass By: Parker Ranch.
Driver through the scenic green pasture of Parker Ranch, home of the Hawaiian cowboys and one of the largest ranches in the US.
CANCELLATION POLICY: This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.