Family Kayak with Whales, 4 days
Searching under rocks for crabs, watching humpback whales feed on a school of small fish, or being surprised as a harbor seal pops up right next to their kayak are all memories children cherish for a lifetime. Family Kayak With Whales base camp kayak tours are designed for families with children aged 6 to 14 and are a great way for the whole family to better appreciate wildlife and nature.
- 2021 Price: $1350 CAD per person plus 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Group Size: Maximum of ten guests and three guides.
- Participants: This tour is designed for families with children ages six and up.
- Suitability: Beginner to advanced kayakers
- Departs: Port McNeill, Vancouver Island
A note on June and early July departures: June and early July is a great time to be kayaking in Johnstone Strait and there is an unbelievable assortment of wildlife. The resident (fish-eating) orcas, however, are not reliably seen until mid-July. They may be intermittently seen during June and early July along with the transient (mammal-eating) orcas but are not as consistent as later in the summer. You can be assured that an early season tour provides a great kayaking experience and a wide variety of wildlife is present without all the extra people that visit mid-summer.
Grizzly Bear Viewing Day Trips: (opens in a new tab) Many of our guests add a grizzly bear watching day trip before or after they join us kayaking. Available to families with children ages 10 and older. Let us know if you would like to add this activity and we will make all the arrangements.
Includes: all the necessary kayaking and camping equipment, including kayaks, paddling jackets, PFD (life jacket), group shelters, tents, sleeping pads, camp chairs and sleeping bags (you may bring your own). All meals during the kayak trip are provided and prepared by your guides. Menu includes abundant fresh fruits and vegetables, a wide variety of international dishes, and freshly baked treats. Most dietary restrictions can be accommodated given sufficient prior notification. Transportation is all-inclusive from Port McNeill by vans and water taxis.
What is not included:
- Transport from your home to Port McNeill
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Port McNeill
- Any meals outside the kayak portion of the tour are your responsibility
- Travel insurance
- The trip price does not include guide gratuities; should you feel that the service was exemplary, it is always appreciated