Whales and Grizzly Bears, 4 days
Seeing a humpback whale lunging through a school of bait fish, a grizzly bear chasing salmon in a shallow river, or a pod of killer whale, also known as orcas, surfacing in unison are often considered once in a lifetime experiences and all three are possible on "Whales and Grizzly Bear" base camp tour.
- 2021 Price: $1850 CAD per person plus 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Group Size: Maximum of ten guests and three guides
- Participants: This tour is adult-oriented but participants as young as 15 may be accepted
- Suitability: Beginner to advanced kayakers
- Departs: Port McNeill, Vancouver Island
A note on June and early July departures: June and early July is a great time to be kayaking in Johnstone Strait and there is an unbelievable assortment of wildlife. The resident (fish-eating) orcas, however, are not reliably seen until mid-July. They may be intermittently seen during June and early July along with the transient (mammal-eating) orcas but are not as consistent as later in the summer. You can be assured that an early season tour provides a great kayaking experience and a wide variety of wildlife is present without all the extra people that visit mid-summer.
Includes: We provide you with all the necessary kayaking and camping equipment, including kayaks, paddling jackets, PFD (life jacket), group shelters, tents, sleeping pads, camp chairs and sleeping bags (you may bring your own). All meals during the kayak trip are provided and prepared by your guides. We’re proud of our menu that includes abundant fresh fruits and vegetables, a wide variety of international dishes, and freshly baked treats. Most dietary restrictions can be accommodated given sufficient prior notification. Transportation is all-inclusive from Port McNeill by our network of vans and water taxis.
What is not included:
- Transport from your home to Port McNeill
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Port McNeill
- Any meals outside the kayak portion of the tour are your responsibility
- Travel insurance
- The trip price does not include guide gratuities; should you feel that the service was exemplary, it is always appreciated