Churchill River Canoe Trip, 8 Days
2022 DEPARTURE DATES (Mondays):
- July 4, 18
- August 1, 15, 29
- September 12
2022 COST PER PERSON, CAD:
|Churchill River Canoe Trip - 7 Nights
|July - September 12, 2022
- DAY 1 – LA RONGE AIRPORT TO CHURCHILL RIVER CANOE OUTFITTERS
Arrive at La Ronge Airport where you are met by a representative at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters. Transferring to Missinipe, 80 km north of La Ronge, check in with your hosts and spend the remainder of that day repacking your gear into waterproof containers and going over your guided trip orientation details. The total length of the route is 75 km, to be travelled over 7 days on the water with 3 to 4 hours of paddling a day. There are six portages on the route, averaging 300 meters in length. Along the route are rapids, which depending on the speed of the water, the guide may determine is safer to portage the canoes around to calmer waters.
Dinner included. Overnight at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters in a cabin.
- DAY 2 – CHURCHILL RIVER CANOE OUTFITTERS TO CHURCHILL RIVER (BLACK BEAR ISLAND LAKE)
After breakfast at the Outfitters, board the float plane and fly out to the departure point of the canoe trip on Black Bear Island Lake of the Churchill River. The remainder of the day is spent receiving safety equipment instructions and demonstration, canoeing instruction and paddling down the Churchill River.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Overnight at camp.
- DAYS 3 TO 6 – CANOEING THE CHURCHILL RIVER
Over the next 3 days paddle the Churchill River as it flows over the Precambrian Shield, passing through a forested landscape of rock outcroppings and muskeg. The many lakes making up the Churchill waterway are sprinkled with tree-covered islands. You may see bald eagles and white pelicans fishing below rapids, moose wading in the shallows, black bears wandering along the shore and enjoy evening calls by common loons at sunset. You will camp on some the same sites that the Voyageurs of previous centuries camped on, see ancient rock paintings of the first inhabitants of the Churchill area and learn about the flora and fauna that live in this unique boreal wilderness.
Breakfasts, lunches and dinners included. Overnights at lakeside camps along the route.
- DAY 7 – CHURCHILL RIVER TO CHURCHILL RIVER CANOE OUTFITTERS
After a half day of paddling, come ashore at the meeting location for a van transfer back to Churchill River Canoe Outfitters base. Unpack your gear, followed by a celebratory dinner with your hosts and fellow travellers.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Overnight at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters in a cabin.
- DAY 8 – END OF PACKAGE
Checking out, you are transferred to La Ronge Airport for your flight home.
- Accommodation for 2 nights Churchill River Canoe Outfitters in a cabin, and 5 nights camping in a tent along the route. The campsites have no established facilities – it is wilderness camping
- Meet & greet at La Ronge Airport; transfers between Churchill River Canoe Outfitters and La Ronge Airport
- Floatplane transfer from the Outfitters to the start of the canoe route on Day 2; van transfer from the end of the canoe route on Day 7 to the Outfitters
- Meals: Full board starting with dinner on Day 1 and ending with breakfast on the Day 8
- Certified, experienced guides
- Tents, camp dishes / cups / utensils, sleeping bags and sleeping pads
- Waterproof canoe packs, canoes, paddles and lifejackets
- Safety equipment, first aid supplies, emergency communication equipment
- Provincial Taxes and Federal GST
- Flights to and from La Ronge
- Meals unless otherwise noted
WHAT TO BRING:
The normal temperatures during July and August on the The normal temperatures during July and August on the Churchill are highs of 22 to 30C and overnight lows of 10 to 16 C. September will be cooler by 5 to 8C. It is suggested to bring clothing that can be layered for warmth and has a good weight to warmth ratio. It is highly recommended that good, lightweight rain gear be packed, swimwear, sunscreen and bug repellent.