All-Day Expedition to Tortuguero National Park from San Jose
Explore the natural beauty and protected wildlife of Costa Rica’s Tortuguero National Park with a full-day guided tour from San Jose. Cruise through freshwater rivers on a boat — the only way to access the inner reaches of this beautiful nature reserve. Learn about the park’s incredible biodiversity from your naturalist guide, and visit a green sea turtle nesting site. Take a break from your exploration to savor lunch at the eco-chic Evergreen Lodge surrounded by views of a lush tropical forest.
- See nesting sites of Costa Rica’s green sea turtle (tortuga verde)
- Learn about a variety of flora and fauna from your expert guide
- Spot wildlife such as spider, howler and capuchin monkeys
- Enjoy complimentary breakfast and eat lunch at Evergreen Lodge with views of the surrounding jungle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Breakfast, Lunch
- English speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
- Food and drinks, unless specified
DEPARTURE & RETURN:
- Departure Point: San Jose Province, San Jose
- Traveler pickup is offered. On the arrival at the hotel the tour guide is going to ask in the reception of the hotel for the client.
- Departure Time: 6:30 AM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Pass By: Gray Line Costa Rica
Meet your guide upon pickup from your San Jose hotel and stop for breakfast at Rancho Roberto's in Guapiles. After your meal, you'll travel through the Braulio Carrillo National Park, one of Costa Rica’s largest national parks. Pass numerous rivers, waterfalls and mountains covered in dense forests on your drive, until you reach a banana plantation. Here, board a boat and set sail for Tortuguero National Park. Since there are no roads to the park from Tortuguero village, access to the vast network of freshwater lagoons and creeks is by boat. Ride for approximately one hour to reach the canals and keep an eye out for all kind of birds in the lush vegetation along the way. Tortuguero, meaning ‘turtle catcher,’ formed from an archipelago of volcanic islands where high rainfall eventually created the bio-diverse wetlands – great for nature lovers! During your 3-hour boat tour of Tortuguero National Park, your expert guide will be on hand to teach you about the history and wildlife as you cruise between the marshy isles. Midday, you’ll have time for a lunch break at Evergreen Lodge, located just five minutes by boat from the entrance to the park. Under the high ceilings of the lovely main dining room, enjoy the ambiance that complements the surrounding jungle landscape. Get an up-close look at the park's great variety of flora and fauna as you ride among the canals. If you’re lucky, you might spot such wildlife as the spectacled caiman, southern river otter and possibly even the endangered West Indian manatee. The park is also home to sloths, howler and capuchin monkeys, tiny frogs and green iguanas. The secluded, black-sand beaches of Tortuguero National Park are some of the most important breeding grounds for the green sea turtle. These ancient reptiles once neared extinction as adults were hunted for their meat and their eggs were taken. You'll get the chance to see the sites where the green sea turtles nest and learn from your guide about the park’s efforts to protect this important species. After exploring the national park, enjoy a return 1-hour boat ride to dry land and then board your coach for the trip back to San Jose, where you’ll be dropped off at your hotel in the evening.
- Pass By: Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo
we head into the mountains of Braulio Carrillo National Park, where steep slopes are covered with thick cloud forest and beautiful waterfalls can be seen from the road. After crossing Braulio Carrillo, we will enjoy a delicious Costa Rican typical breakfast. Then we continue to a Banana Plantation, where your guide will explain the process of growing and exporting this fruit.
- Stop At: Tortuguero National Park
Covering 29000 hectares. Tortuguero is one of the most important nesting sites of Chelonia Midas, the green sea turtle. Tortuguero’s forests and waterways are home for many endangered mammals such as sloths, monkeys, agoutis, coatimundis and manatees. There are also abundant birds, such as toucans, trogons, egrets, herons and aninghas, as well as crocodiles, turtles and countless colorful butterflies, including the blue morpho. You will enjoy a hearty typical buffet lunch to please the hungriest of appetites. After lunch you will take a walk through the Tortuguero Village, where you will have the opportunity to learn about the history of the town and its inhabitants.
Duration: 4 hours. Ticket Included.
- A minimum of two passengers are required for the tour to commence. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.