Haida Gwaii Mini-Safari, 8 Days
$4,975 (Single, + $880)
Port Hardy, BC -> Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii, BC
Your adventure tour to Haida Gwaii begins with a cruise into the deep wilderness of the Inside Passage. At Prince Rupert get your first taste of the proud indigenous culture of seafarers and artists of northwest BC. In Haida Gwaii, surround yourself in flourishing rainforests, windswept sand-dunes and endless beaches. Visit the totems that honour 10.000 years of history and meet a Haida Watchman. Sit down to a traditional feast of seafood, fresh from the ocean. This is where ancient culture is infused with relevance for us all.
We take in all this and more on our adventure holiday of the remote Queen Charlotte Islands, a colonial name recently replaced with Haida Gwaii which means "Islands of the People". A globally unique ecosystem that partially escaped the last ice-age, this archipelago of more than 150 islands evokes comparisons to the equally isolated and biologically diverse Galapagos Islands. We visit several villages on the largest islands, Graham and Morseby, home to most of Haida Gwaii’s 5000 residents. We immerse ourselves in the splendour of Naikoon Provincial Park. Later we head out by zodiac to the more remote Louise Island and look for its secrets.
- July 5–12
- July 19–26
- July 29–August 5
- August 9–16
- August 23–30
- September 6–13
Departs: Vancouver, B.C. (return)
Arrives: Sandspit, Haida Gwaii, B.C.
Activity Level: Easy
Max Group Size: Maximum: 5. Minimum to confirm: 2
Accommodation: the properties we stay at in Haida Gwaii include inns, cabins, lodges, motels, B and B's and small hotels. All accommodations include one / two queen / double bed and a private bathroom. Our properties all underscore our philosophy to utilize small-scale accommodation that offer character and cleanliness, pursue sound environmental practices and support local operators.
Transport: van, taxi, zodiac, floatplane, ferry and commercial jet.
Meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 4 dinners
Activity Notes: while we rate this tour as "Easy" guests should be prepared for uneven walking surfaces, bouncy ocean conditions on the zodiac trip, and travelling by floatplane. Walks and hikes vary from 20 minutes to an optional four hour hike.
- Return airfare from Vancouver to Sandspit
- Fully escorted with knowledgeable driver/guide
- Tours of local villages, escorted walks and hikes
- Transportation by van, ferry and float plane
- 7 nights’ accommodation in hotels, motels and inns
- 7 breakfasts, 4 dinners and 1 lunch
- All entrance fees to provincial, national parks and protected areas
- Float plane to Rose Bay and boat tour to Ninstints / S'Gaang Gwaay Llinagaay or boat tour to Skedans and Tanu (depending on weather) and visit with Haida Watchmen.
- BC Ferry transportation from Skidegate to Alliford Bay
- Tour of local Haida Chiefs’ carving studios, canoe sheds and Big House
- Entrance to Haida Cultural Centre, at Kay Llnagaay
- Entrance fees to Port Clements and Dixon Maritime Museums.
- Boat tour to either the northern village of Yan or Kung on Graham Island with local Haida Guide
- Meals where not indicated
- Gratuities for activities and driver/guide
- Optional activities
- Travel and cancellation insurance (highly recommended)
- 5% GST
- Deep sea fishing (about $100 per hour with a four hour minimum)
- Full day kayaking tour with lunch.