Farewell Harbour Lodge Wildlife Eco-Tour
Please note: The below is a sample itinerary for a 3-night package. The actual itinerary may vary based on guests’ interests, weather and wildlife activity. The 4, 5 and 6-night packages offer additional days spent marine mammal viewing, on bear safaris, sea kayaking, First Nations Kwakwaka’wakw cultural site visits or a host of other options.
- DAY 1 – ALDER BAY TO FAREWELL HARBOUR LODGE
Depart Alder Bay aboard a high speed water taxi for a scenic 25 minute service across Johnstone Strait to Farewell Harbour on Berry Island. (If you are joining from Port Hardy Airport, your journey begins with a shuttle from the airport to Alder Bay). Berry island lies at the epicentre of one of the most biologically active regions on the coast, and is mostly protected due to its unique natural and cultural history. Upon arrival at Farewell Harbour, you’ll be warmly greeted by the lodge staff, provided with a short orientation and lunch and then settled into your rooms. Afterward, head out onto the water for an afternoon marine mammal viewing excursion in the protected waters of Johnstone Strait and Blackfish Sound. From early June tomid October, witness Humpback whales, Steller sea lions, Pacific White Sided dolphins and Dall’s porpoises as they travel the biologically rich waters of the Broughton Archipelago Marine Park. From mid July to late September, Orca return to the Broughtons in search of salmon. Return to the lodge by 16:30 and join your fellow travellers for dinner at 18:30. After dinner, sit fireside in the lounge for an evening presentation on some aspect of coastal ecology. Welcome appetizers, lunch and dinner included. Overnight at Farewell Harbour Lodge.
- DAY 2 – FAREWELL HARBOUR LODGE
After breakfast, meet on the dock at 08:00 for the first full-day bear viewing adventure. Visit one of several estuaries where you will view bears either from a zodiac or on foot depending on the tide. Grizzlies forage on sedge, roots and berries in the spring and summer and fall in the broad, braided estuaries. Late summer and fall may also offeropportunities to see Grizzlies fishing forsalmon. Return to the lodge by 16:30 for dinner at 18:30, followed by an evening presentation on the Great Bear Rainforest, bears, whales or First Nations culture. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks included. Overnight at Farewell Harbour Lodge.
- DURING YOUR STAY – FAREWELL HARBOUR LODGE (3 to 7 night packages)
After breakfast at 07:00, head out on the water at 08:00 for your choice of another bear viewing safari or a more extensive marine exploration. Marine excursions can also afford an opportunity to learn about the cultural traditions of the Kwakwaka’wakw First Nations as we pass ancient villages sites, rock art called pictographs and other evidence of a rich history and vibrant present in the region. Return to the lodge by 16:30 for dinner and evening program. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks included. Overnight at Farewell Harbour Lodge.
- DEPARTURE DAY – END OF PACKAGE
A final morning commences with your choice of one of the following activities: a short morning sea kayak excursion in the protected and crystalline waters near Farewell Harbour Lodge, a marine excursion, rainforest walk or forest bathing (Shinrin yoku) walk. Return to the lodge and take the water taxi back to Alder Bay as your package comes to an end. Breakfast and lunch included.
- Return water taxi transfers between Alder Bay RV Park & Marina and Farewell Harbour Lodge
- Return transfers between Port Hardy Airport and Alder Bay RV Park & Marina (if required, for passengers flying into/departing from Port Hardy Airport)
- Accommodation for 3, 4, 5, or 6 nights at the floating or land-based lodge in guestrooms with private ensuite bathroom and shower
- Meals: full board starting with lunch on Day 1 and ending with lunch on day of departure, including wine with dinner, non-alcoholic beverages, and snacks
- Welcome briefing and orientation to the tours, viewing opportunities and facilities
- All transportation on all wildlife excursions
- Marine tour excursion on arrival day, one full day excursion to one of the grizzly viewing areas, one full day on marine tour excursion or an additional grizzly viewing excursion, short optional excursion on marine tour or sea kayaking on departure day
- Evening guide presentations/slide shows
- All-weather gear, including life jackets, and raingear and rubber boots, if required
- Carbon offset fee
- Provincial Taxes and Federal GST
- Options for additional marine excursions, bear viewing trips, sea kayaking or First Nations cultural explorations on days 5, 6 or 7
- Gratuities: suggested amount $40 per guest per day
SPECIAL NOTES: Passengers flying from Port Hardy to Vancouver are strongly suggested to book a post night in Vancouver before their return International flight.